The three week curriculum is designed for the individual with an allied health background such as nursing or radiological technology. It is a popular course for those “cross-training” in diagnostic ultrasound. The three week student will receive didactics in Physics/Instrumentation, Abdominal, and OB/GYN sonography. “Hands on” scanning sessions and didactics will be limited to normal anatomy and multiple scan labs will be available each week. Labs for OB scanning will be available upon request at an additional fee. All scan labs are “one on one” with direct instructor supervision. This course serves as a basic introduction to diagnostic ultrasound and it is recommended that three week graduates receive direct clinical supervision for an additional 3-6 months.
(Classes begin quarterly – January, April, July, and October)
1. Document completion of a formal 2-year allied health education such as radiological technology or nursing.
2. Document previous experience in diagnostic ultrasound.
3. Verification of employment by sponsoring institution.
Week 1-Physics/Instrumentation During this week we provide a great foundation and operational knowledge of ultrasound. We present and emphasize the importance of understanding the physical principals and instrumentation of sonography and relate it to issues in the clinical setting of today.
Topics covered include but are not limited to:
1. Basic ultrasound wave concepts and characteristics
2. Acoustic properties of tissue and attenuation of sound in the body
3. Pulsed wave operation and parameters of basic ultrasound systems
4. A working knowledge of transducers and the characteristics of the ultrasound beam
5. The fundamentals of an ultrasound system, display and storage
We also provide you with an introduction to abdominal vasculature, landmarks, and techniques in abdominal scanning that is applied during instructor led scan labs.
Week 2- Abdomen Abdomen week directly emphasizes normal sonographic appearances, clinical correlations, and a working knowledge of the structures of the abdomen.
Abdominal structures covered include:
1. Vessels and landmarks
3. Gallbladder and biliary system
During this week we go into more in depth abdominal scanning during our one on one scan labs. Each scanning session is tailored to the need of each individual student to meet their specific requirements. Students are able to better understand and apply what they have learned didactically.
Week 3- OB/GYN During the third week the normal female pelvis is covered.
Topics include but are not limited to:
1. Normal uterine and adnexal structures
2. Uterine and adnexal variants
3. Limited uterine and adnexal pathology
4. Normal 1st Trimester obstetrical examination and evaluation
5. Normal 2nd and 3rd trimester appearances, correlation, and biometric calculation
6. Transvaginal scanning technique and assessment of the female pelvis.
During this week each scan lab will be limited to transabdominal scanning techniques of female pelvis. 2nd and 3rd trimester one hour dedicated scanning sessions are available upon request at an additional fee.
*Licensed by the Alabama Dept. of Postsecondary Education*
Approved by the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers for Category A CME credits.
**The Institute of Ultrasound Diagnostics is a private institution and requires tuition payment, in full, before the first day of class. All applications and fees must be sent one month prior to the first day of class. Special arrangements must be made directly through the corporate office at the Institute of Ultrasound Diagnostics, One Timber Way Daphne, AL 36527. If cancellation is received two weeks prior to the beginning of class, a full refund will be given. Cancellation after this time will result in the loss of the materials fee unless the attendee transfers to the next available class.
We reserve the right to cancel courses due to insufficient registrations. If the Institute cancels a course, attendees will be given the choice of transferring to a future program or a full tuition refund. Prices, schedules and CME credits subject to change without notice.
****See IUD Handbook on the 1 Year Program Page for Dates and Pricing.****